Thursday, January 30, 2014

It had been several days since starting my post- Christmas "diet" to lose the 4 lbs I had so easily gained over the holidays.  At first it had been a struggle to get back into the habit of eating healthy.  It seemed I could be happy eating Christmas cookies for breakfast, mashed potatoes and gravy for lunch, and generous helpings of both for supper.  It takes me a few days to become accustomed to liking the healthier choices again: salads, lean proteins, fruits.  So I was pleased when I picked up the strawberries last night, not because I had to eat them for a snack, but because I wanted to.  That's right- my mindset, after 3 days of strict discipline,  had made the transition so that once again, I desired to eat what was actually healthy.  The big red strawberries and blackberries that sat washed and ready in the bowl were what called to me first when my stomach growled for a late night snack!  I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into them! 
Several years ago, there was a transition that occurred in my spiritual appetite,  as well.  I had fallen out of the habit of reading God's word daily.  Those years when I was not in the habit of reading the Bible, it seemed a chore to do so.  I had to work to make myself sit down and read it, throwing aside the busy hectic tasks -the mashed potatoes and Christmas cookies of life-that called me away from time with my Lord.   Since then, however,  I've developed the habit of reading the Bible every day again.   What I've found is it is no longer a chore for me.  My spiritual appetite craves what is good: time spent in God's word, reading, listening, praying.  When faced with a day full of life's busy hectic to do lists, the Spirit is what calls to me first.  I find I can't wait to open my Bible and sink my teeth into it!  Time spent with my Lord is refreshing and nourishing to my soul.   If you aren't in the habit of reading God's word, I want to encourage you to put yourself on a spiritual diet.  Determine to set aside a time each day to open God's word and read it.  Talk to your Heavenly Father who loves you intensely.  Ask Him to speak to you through His Word.   It will take discipline the first few days, but I promise you that once you get a taste of spending time alone with Him, you will want to go to Him more often.  Soon it will not seem like a task but rather something you desire.    ©2014Janet Davis

Psalm 34:8 
"Taste and see that the Lord is good;   blessed is the one who takes refuge in him."
Back to tangibleinspirations: 
http://tangibleinspirations.com/about-me.html

No comments:

Post a Comment