Thursday, December 12, 2013

Taking Christmas Slow


Our family room tree


Most years my Christmas decorating starts in early November and by the weekend following Thanksgiving, my house is decked out in greenery and lights. I often have 2 or 3 open houses planned, complete with caroling, and with that planning comes cleaning and baking and numerous trips to the grocery.  It's all fun for me, mind you, all the crazy hectic celebrating. I love catching up with people, laughing, singing, and just being together. To me a full house is a happy house!

This year, however, I'm taking Christmas slow. The first decorations didn't come out until after Thanksgiving. I waited until my son was finished with his college exams to get the small live tree for our family room. It was so nice to have him decorate it with me. The family room tree is the tree full of memories: Ornaments the kids made when they were young, pictures in tiny frames, gifts people brought to us from their travels.  If I had been in a hurry to decorate I would have missed that time with my 19 year old talking and reminiscing while we hung the ornaments.  My older son has stopped by several times over the past two weeks and it has been good to be able to talk with him as well.  Had I been planning for my usual parties I'm afraid I wouldn't have sat down with him at the table like we did for such heart-warming conversations.

My heart is overflowing with thankfulness to God for the gift of His son, but as I write this I still haven't baked a Christmas cookie or bought gifts for under our tree.  Yesterday, I received phone calls from 2 dear friends.  It was great to be able to catch up without feeling rushed.  Today after I finished work I spent a couple hours with a wonderful friend and neighbor, Betsy, sharing tea and some of the best fudge I've ever tasted!


This is a different type of celebrating to me.  It's restful, refreshing to my soul. 

If you know me you probably know there most definitely will be Christmas celebrations at my home next year, because that's what I love to do.  It's true.  To gather and celebrate the birth of our Lord and Savior is always a joyful event and I believe we should do it often! This Christmas, though, I'm enjoying the blessings God has given me in a quieter, less crowded way.  I guess what I'm saying is I'm taking Christmas slow this year.  It's nice.                                                                ©2013jdc


 Psalm 62:1 “My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.

  http://tangibleinspirations.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment