Sunday, December 14, 2014


Surprises

Psalm 37:3,4
Trust in the Lord and do good; dwell in the land and enjoy safe pasture.Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

The last few months of my life, I've experienced some wonderful surprises.  I've entered the public speaking arena again and as nervous as I was to get started, the big surprise is that I absolutely love it!  There have been lots of smaller "surprises" too, like being able to start an Etsy shop, and having the privilege of being able to make bracelets to raise funds for a family who needs help with medical expenses.  Perhaps the biggest surprise for me is that I was never- I mean never- going back to school.  But as of January 5th, 2015, I will be a full time student!  God is amazing, and I am learning He can be full of surprises!

All these surprises started as ideas that stemmed from desires within my heart.  Looking back, it seems it is God that gave me those desires, and helped me pursue them.  I wonder how many surprises I've missed out on because fear kept me from following through with a desire or dream.  The tendency for humans, I believe, is to play it safe. We tell ourselves "It just doesn't seem feasible".  But God doesn't intend for us to stay in our safe little circles.  He desires for us to live abundantly, and I am learning that means trying new things and taking risks.

The faint desire you have to attempt something new, to look into a different career, or try your hand at some unfamiliar art form may actually be a calling from your Heavenly Father to be the person He created you to be.  He desires for us to have a life that is overflowing with joy, peace, and satisfaction. Consider then, the desire may be from God.  Let that desire fuel your willingness to work on your dreams.  Pray about it, commit it to God, and let Him help you find your way.  You may be surprised at what He has in store for you.


©2014 Janet Davis



No comments:

Post a Comment