Wednesday, May 14, 2014



Proverbs 25:16
"When you find honey, remember to eat only what you need,
because if you eat in excess, you may be sick and lose all of it."  
*************************************************


Workout Wednesday
Who knew there were so many verses in the Bible about our eating habits and fitness?  I’ve really
On this week's menu: scallop shish kabobs
enjoyed finding passages related to our health!  God created us in a way that dictates a responsibility to take care of our bodies.  Turns out the old saying “you are what you eat” is true! 
Lately, with my new diet plan, I’ve noticed my desire to “shovel” has decreased.  Are you familiar with shoveling?  In the past when life has been super busy, I have found myself not stopping to eat, but opting to work through meal-time.  The result is hunger pangs that lead to a meal made and eaten hastily.  In other words, I become so hungry I shovel in the food and before I know it I’ve eaten more than I needed. The result is a “too full” feeling, along with regrets of the over abundance of calories I’ve consumed.  Now though, I’m thinking more about my meals.  If the day keeps me so busy I don’t want to take the time to sit down to a lunch, there are plenty of berries, healthy cheeses, flour less bread and almond butter on hand for a quick snack that keeps me going throughout the day.  When suppertime comes I make the preparation enjoyable.  I love cooking and have decided to look at it as a hobby rather than a task or chore.  When I finally do sit down, I eat more slowly, savoring every bite rather than shoveling, and paying attention to the flavors and textures.  The end result seems to be that I need less food.  Apparently eating more slowly gives my brain more time to register that my stomach has had enough.  I’m no scientist but a quick search on the Internet will come up with several articles saying there is a reason for this.  In layman’s terms, it takes up to 20 minutes for the brain to receive the signal that your stomach has had enough.  (Like I said- layman’s terms)  All I know is that when I slow down while I’m eating, I seem to be satisfied with less volume of food than if I eat quickly.  The other benefits are the luxury of enjoying –actually tasting – the food, not feeling so full after the meal that I am uncomfortable, and of course losing weight!  

If you are a "shoveler", try slowing down- at least for one meal a day and see what it does for you. 
Enjoy the flavors and textures of the food you or someone else has prepared.  Taking a few extra minutes for some much needed "down time" will leave you feeling refreshed and nourished and better able to tackle the tasks that life has for you.                                                        ©2014 JCD
___________________________________________________________________________________

 With my rekindled love of cooking, I also have a renewed thankfulness for food in general.  While I am trying to eat less,  I know every day there are families who are wondering if they will have enough to eat just to survive.  Below is a link to a local food pantry to which I was introduced at a recent outdoor market.   They have a great website and it’s easy to get involved.  
 
http://www.worthingtonfoodpantry.org/

My progress:  I have lost 3 lbs now!
Still walking or working out 6 days a week.
My clothes feel less tight and I have an overall feeling of healthiness that I had started to lose! 

Recipe
Okay, I know "meatless sloppy joes" may sound really bad- almost sac-religious to many of you- but my son and I tried this last night and it was awesome!

I read several recipes, and finally made this one up.  SUPER easy!

2 cans Progresso® vegan lentil soup, drained. (there's not much liquid in it)
one small can tomato paste (we like Trader Joe's brand)
ketchup and mustard to taste(we use about 1 1/2 tsp mustard, 1/4 C ketchup)
1/4 cup maple syrup
salt and pepper to taste
 (Actually:  however you make sloppy joes, use that- but with the lentil soup instead of ground beef)

Mix well and cook it all together in a skillet until it's heated through-  simmer for about 5 minutes, serve!  My son ate his on a bun just like a regular sloppy joe.  I ate mine plain with tortilla chips.
SO good!  Enjoy!

Back to main site:   tangibleinspirations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment