Thursday, May 8, 2014



1 Corinthians 3:16 

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?

 Workout Wednesday's post..... late....
 Sorry!  I didn't have internet service available on Wed so I'm posting this on Thursday!
 

Why I Choose Organic (mostly)
Organic tomatoes from my 2013 garden

Today I want discuss organic vs. non-organic food choices. I choose organically grown produce and hormone free, organic meat whenever possible.  Yes it tends to be a bit more expensive but I’ve learned to watch for specials.  Most local food markets have organic products now, and so the prices seem to be more competitive these days.  Also, it seems to be the general consensus around my home that organic produce tastes better.  I haven’t decided why that is yet, but nothing beats the sweetness of the organic berries I get – and my fruit salad is always the topic of conversation at gatherings because the cantaloupe and honeydew are “so sweet!”  The only reason I can give to my happy fruit salad consumers is that I buy organic.  When I pass it by and purchase conventional, disappointment is inevitable.
So, what’s the big deal about organic?  Haven’t we been eating non-organic meats and produce for years?  Some say the jury is still out on whether or not pesticide and other chemical residue on and in the foods we eat has an effect on our health.  Though this is something I’ve researched extensively, and believe there is good evidence in favor of eating organic whenever possible, common sense dictates, too,  that choosing organic is best.  If I am able to choose between an apple ridden with chemicals, and an apple that is not, wouldn’t I want the latter?   Why would I choose exposure to something that could be harmful to my health, if I don’t have to?  So here, in our household, I choose organically grown produce when I can, and when we serve meat I make sure the label says it is hormone free and antibiotic free. 
Remember, I am not a fanatic.  I still eat the stadium hot dog now and then, or the popcorn at a movie theater.  My intent is not to ban these occasional treats, but most days my diet consists of whole grains, organic produce, and organic meats and cheeses. 

Below is a meatless recipe that I’ve had for years.  It’s an easy quiche and is good either with or without a crust.

Janet’s quiche
 6 eggs whisked together with ½ cup milk
 1 C any  shredded cheese (we like co-jack or cheddar)
 1 & ½  C  total-any 2 sautéed veggies-
(I sauté them first, then let them cool while I get my egg mixture ready.
some of our choices:  -Spinach and mushroom-
                                   -Thinly sliced bell peppers, mushrooms and  sliced tomatoes
                                   - Broccoli
(whatever veggies you want!)
Put the eggs and milk in a big bowl, add the cheese and cooled veggies and pour into unbaked pie crust or a greased casserole dish with no crust:  bake at 350 degrees F for 45 min to1 hour.

SO good!  And because you can change the veggies it’s like a different dish every time!

Also, for the workout portion of my life, I am training for a 5K now!  So excited!  It helps me to have a goal!  Feel free to share what your workout goals are in the comment section! 

Back to main site:  tangibleinspirations.com

No comments:

Post a Comment