Wednesday, April 16, 2014


Psalm 139:14

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
 your works are wonderful,  I know that full well.                                                                                  
                                                                                               Below: Scene from a walk last year

Getting Fit

I will never be a fanatic about fitness, but I do enjoy the way I feel when I am in shape.  Lately I've noticed the results of a winter with very little exercise.  My strength has decreased, and my energy level is lower than it was not too many months ago in the fall of last year-when I was exercising regularly.  Last week, when Spring broke through for a tease, I decided to start my daily walks again.  What I remembered as I began my exercise regimen, which included not only the walks, but weight training and the dreaded crunches, was how refreshing exercise can be for the soul.  A two mile walk gives me time to talk to God, thanking Him for the beauty of His creation all around me.  While feebly trying to complete my light weight training and sit-ups, I am reminded of how we are "fearfully and wonderfully made"- and that this body is a gift and I need to take care of it.  Exercise, then, can be a form of worship, which makes it, instead of something I dread, something quite enjoyable!  After just a few short workouts scattered over the last 7 days, my body is already responding positively to the increase in physical activity, and my soul is being refreshed as I gain more energy and stamina.  Like a well oiled machine, our spiritual and physical health seem to be at their best when we are doing what we were designed to do....move!  What a wonderful creator we have, who gave us the need and the desire to be physically active.  I try to get some type of exercise in daily, but I know in this fast paced life, there are some days it's just not going to happen.  Below is a list of how I assure myself I will at least get some activity each day.
1) Park far away.  
   When I am running errands, I park as far as I can from the store.  The walk does me good!
2) Elevators and escalators are not an option for me.
3) When I'm going up the stairs, sometimes I do it twice, even if I don't have to. (You can laugh if   
     you want!)
4)  When I let the dog out, I go out too- just to walk around the yard a few times.  Casey, my wheaten 
      terrier, is always happy to have the company!

These are just a few ideas.  Do you have any?  Happy moving!  
©2014 Janet Carol Davis

1 Corinthians 6:19-20


“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.”

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Galleries/7-Bible-Verses-to-Motivate-You-to-Exercise.aspx?p=5#e78jSZQRYW2EEGHO.99

1 Corinthians 6:19-20


“Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.”

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Galleries/7-Bible-Verses-to-Motivate-You-to-Exercise.aspx?p=5#e78jSZQRYW2EEGHO.99

No comments:

Post a Comment